2017 ADVOCACY AGENDA
It is important to note that this agenda does not represent all issues pertinent to the business community rather, the Advocacy Agenda is a “rolling agenda” and serves as a base document that will be monitored for purposes of updating or adding issues important to the Fairbanks business community.
ECONOMIC & COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT
Alaska’s Interior will only thrive if the business and economic climate is healthy. The local economy is heavily dependent on a few key industries: healthcare, government, natural resource development and tourism. Diversification is important to the long-term sustainability of the Greater Fairbanks area.
Points of focus include:
- Balanced Budget
- Government leaders need to pass a responsible budget, balancing state revenue against expenses. Alaskans need a comprehensive, long-term sustainable fiscal plan promising state funds to essential programs while looking ahead to strategic investing that will promote long-term economic growth.
- Support the University of Alaska
- The Greater Fairbanks Chamber of Commerce urges the Alaska State Legislature and the Governor to maintain strong support for the University of Alaska as they undergo a comprehensive review of programs and services via the UA Strategic Pathways framework. A vibrant university is vital for the education of our citizenry, the development of a highly trained workforce, and the research and development endeavors necessary to address the state’s critical challenges.
- Business Retention and Expansion
- Identify opportunities for local businesses to expand operations, create jobs and diversify.
- Arctic Opportunities
- Promote economic development, improve health, safety and emergency response in Alaska’s Arctic.
- Criminal Justice Reform
- Continue to support the development and implementation of legislation that will result in a more efficient and effective criminal justice system aimed at reducing recidivism through substance abuse treatment programs, prevention, and supervision programs, while continuing to enhance public safety.
- Community Development and Revitalization
- Support the demolition plan for the Polaris Building in downtown Fairbanks. Enhance the economy through Explore Fairbanks’ efforts to develop a convention/performing arts center.
- Arts Engagement
- Promote the efforts of the arts community that make the greater Fairbanks area a more attractive place to live, work and visit by strengthening the partnership between business and the arts and cultural communities.
EDUCATION AND WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT
ENERGY, NATURAL RESOURCES, AND ENVIRONMENT
- Balanced Budget