Residential HVAC & oil burner/boiler service technician
ob Title: Residential HVAC & oil burner/boiler service technician
Reports To: Service Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt
Prepared By: dbg
Prepared Date: August 20, 2020
Approved By: DAB
Approved Date: 8/20/20
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The essential functions of the Residential Service Technician are to provide general HVAC & oil-fired boiler & furnace service, troubleshooting, repair, & tuning of burners with instruments.
- Troubleshoot and repair commercial HVAC systems to include package units to 10 tons, split systems, ductless mini-split systems, chillers, air handling systems, oil- and gas-fired boilers, and control systems.
- Troubleshoot and repair residential heating and ventilation systems, to include oil- and gas-fired furnaces and boilers.
- Occasionally, will be involved in commercial air conditioning piping, leak-testing, evacuation, start-up and commissioning of systems at times.
- Correctly complete all paperwork required by management, turned in in a timely manner.
- Collect for all residential work performed.
- Contact Dispatcher on both Arrival and Completion of each call, provide information as requested, and receive next call.
- Coordinate with Sales for estimates on any equipment that is in need of replacement. Bonuses apply.
- Identify and suggest opportunities for quality and cost improvements.
- Maintain truck inventory.
- Keep assigned service vehicle organized and clean. Monday morning inspections apply.
- Work with Operations manager to ensure vehicle is maintained at the required levels.
- Required to wear company uniform and be present a professional appearance daily.
- Must understand the Company’s vision, mission statement, objectives, and financial goals.
- Must want to work for a great company with great people in a great place.
- No direct reports.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Meet or exceed shop minimums set for the DOT Program or its equivalent.
- Must know local HVAC codes and be able to apply them in a practical manner on each job.
- Must have own hand tools, meters, and gauges.
- Must be able to work with inspectors, suppliers and co-worker technicians/plumbers to ensure correct project work, while abiding by all codes.
- Must be able to read and follow controls/wiring schematics and diagrams.
- Must be able to braze/solder.
- Must be able to draw simple diagrams.
- Must be able to read blue prints and other diagrams.
- Must understand technical operating, service, or repair manuals.
- Must be punctual and have a good work ethic.
- Must possess good customer service and communication skills.
- Must believe in and display, honesty and integrity, and a moral values system.
- Must be willing to pursue and actually participate in continuing education and must be an active supporter of company pricing policies.
- Must possess a current valid driver’s license and have no DUI/DWI’s within the past 5 years.
- Must be able to pass a background check and a drug screening.
- Must be a team player and not be afraid of work!
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Required: A high school diploma or equivalent, and an associate’s degree in HVAC&R or equivalent college level coursework desired.
A minimum of five years experience including hands on training and or work is required.
Complete knowledge of current HVAC standards required.
Must be able to read and write English at a high expertise level for reading and preparation of invoices, time sheets, proposals, and letters, etc.
Must be able to successfully complete mathematical aptitude evaluation.
Must be capable of applying sound business practices and judgment to all decisions in accordance with Company and Department’s vision, mission statement, objectives, and financial goals.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- EPA Certification for refrigerant.
- Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license.
- NATE certification preferred
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Regularly requires sitting, walking, bending, and lifting for prolonged periods of time.
The employee must have a full range of body movements including the use of hands feet and fingers to handle or feel objects and must be capable of bending, reaching, and crouching. Able to handle or feel objects and use tools and equipment and must be capable of bending, reaching, crouching, climbing and crawling.
Must have command of all five senses sight, hearing, touch, smell and taste. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust and focus. Must hear and speak well enough to conduct business over the telephone or face to face for long periods of time.
Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position will require working indoors and outdoors in various climate conditions ranging from very cold to very hot. This includes attics, crawl spaces, and confined locations. This position will require working indoors. The employee may be called upon to be in customer or service production sites on an as need to basis. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Typical workweek is an average of 40 hours per week (typically 8am to 5pm weekdays), overtime as required, as well as working on a rotating on-call schedule for After Hours or Weekends.
This position deals with aggressive personalities in a highly competitive industry and will be stressful.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: Up to $35.00 per hour
- Dental Insurance
- Employee Discount
- Health Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Relocation Assistance
- Retirement Plan
- Vision Insurance
- 8 Hour Shift
- Monday to Friday
- On Call
- Bonus Pay
To keep out employees & customers safe, we have had training on the proper use of masks, gloves, & the importance of social distancing.
- Multiple locations
Typical start time:
Typical end time:
This Job Is:
- A job for which military experienced candidates are encouraged to apply
- A “Fair Chance” job (you or the employer follow Fair Chance hiring practices when performing background checks)
- A good fit for applicants with gaps in their resume, or who have been out of the workforce for the past 6 months or more
- A job for which all ages, including older job seekers, are encouraged to apply
- Open to applicants who do not have a college diploma
Company's Facebook page:
- Altrol at Facebook.com
- Waiting period may apply