This position greets patients and families, conducts patient registration, and obtains financial reimbursement and applicable insurance information for all patients accessing service at FHP medical facilities. Reviews all account information to optimize collection efforts and system recording events. Expedites reimbursement, ensures compliance, and resolves issues as they arise to promote point of service decisions. Performs financial counseling when appropriate. Explains and obtains signatures on registration materials and legal forms, such as Consent for Healthcare Services, Financial Agreement, Advance Directive, Hospital Grievance policy.
- Performs pre-registration/registration processes, verifies insurance coverage and obtains authorizations and notifications. Calculates patient liability according to verification of insurance benefits, collects deposits and copayments. Accurately and completely documents all information into the patient records system to ensure maximum reimbursement. Obtains all necessary signatures and documentation requires by the patient's insurance plan. As assigned, conducts patient visits for bedside registration to expedite the completion of the patient registration.
- Provides financial counseling to patients and their families. Explains FHP financial policies and provides information as to available resources and avenues for alternative payment arrangements. Assists patients and their families in completing financial assistance paperwork when appropriate.
- Acts as a liaison between the patient, billing department, and payor to enhance account receivables performance, resolve outstanding issues and/or patient concerns, and to maximize service excellence.
- Communicates with physicians, clinical and hospital staff, nursing and Health Information Management Services to resolve outstanding issues and/or patient concerns. Works to meet the patients' needs in financial services.
- Meets or exceeds productivity standards. Completes daily assignments and maintains accurate production logs and records. Identifies opportunities to improve work processes and practices good work group dynamics.
- Provides a variety of patient services and financial services tasks. May be assigned to functions such as transporting patients, provide training for new staff, collecting and releases patient valuables in accordance with FHP policies, posting daily deposits, or conducting other work assignments of the Patient Financial Services team.
Performs all functions according to established policies, procedures, regulatory and accreditation requirements, as well as applicable professional standards. Provides all customers of Foundation Health with an excellent service experience by consistently demonstrating our core and leader behaviors each and every day.
High school diploma/GED or equivalent working knowledge.
Requires excellent customer service skills and knowledge, as normally acquired with one (1) or more years of related work experience. Requires the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously between heavy phone volume, multiple computer systems and frequent interruptions with minimal supervision and ability to work independently. Requires excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills to effectively interact with a wide range of audiences. Must have the ability to handle ongoing face-to-face contact with patients and staff while functioning in a busy medical office environment.
Strong knowledge in the use of common office software, word processing, spreadsheet, and database software are required.
As is typical in this industry, variable shifts and hours, and on-call duties may be required.
Medical terminology experience is preferred.
Prior experience with clinic and/or hospital registration and prior authorizations is preferred.
Notary license and experience preferred.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Foundation Health Partners is an EEO/AAP employer; qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.