Job Summary: Job incumbent will participate in the Yukon Koyukuk System of Care Subcommittee as well as work closely with all program staff to support effective decision making and program development. This position provides quality mental health and substance abuse services to youth, adults and families including mental health, substance abuse and co-occurring disorders counseling, crisis intervention, consultation, assessments, prevention, outreach, aftercare, referral, and involuntary commitments.
Essential Functions: This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, position-specific duties.
Representative Duties: Under the general supervision of the Program Coordinator Yukon Koyukuk Behavioral, job incumbent will be assigned from the following representative duties:
1. Provide local and itinerant mental health, substance abuse, prevention and supportive services to youth, adults, and families in Fairbanks and on itinerant basis to villages. Organizes and/or participates in wellness or prevention activities for groups and individuals.
2. Provide Individual, Couple, Family and Group therapy for Children, Adolescents, Adults, and Elders with Mental Health, Substance Abuse or Co-Occurring Mental Health and Substance Abuse issues.
3. Provide Comprehensive Mental Health and Substance Abuse Assessments using DSM 5 and ASAM Criteria.
4. Develop a treatment plan with special consideration to cross-cultural and dual diagnosis (mental health and substance abuse) concerns. Ensures appropriate implementation of treatment plan.
5. Provide Prevention and Education services to children, adolescents, adults and elders regarding Mental Health, Substance Abuse, and Wellness.
6. Provide and receives appropriate referrals to and from other agencies and resources.
7. Complete Administrative and Clinical Documentation in a timely manner in order to maintain program compliance within the guidelines established by Tanana Chiefs Conference, Indian Health Services, the State, Medicaid, CARF and other regulatory agencies.
8. Provide effective coverage for behavioral health emergency on call services; provide crisis intervention as needed.
9. Provide culturally appropriate modes of service (i.e. Talking Circles, and Subsistence Activities) as appropriate.
10. Provide ongoing outreach services to communities served.
11. Provide consultation to clinical staff, medical professionals, schools, university, and probation and court system as necessary to ensure quality services. Networks with area professionals to maintain communication systems for follow-up and referral.
12. Facilitates Title 47 Mental Health or Substance Abuse Emergency Detention or Involuntary Commitment Procedures.
1. Perform other job related duties as assigned.
2. Master's Degree from an accredited university in Psychology, Counseling, Child Guidance or Community Mental Health; or Marriage and Family Therapy with an active license to practice marital and family therapy, Nursing with specialization or experience in mental health and has an active license to practice nursing, a professional counselor who has an active license to practice as a professional counselor, a social worker who has a master's degree in social work and has an active license to practice as a clinical social worker or a psychologist or psychological associate who has an active license to practice as a psychologist or a psychological associate.
3. Must be certified or have the ability to be certified within one year of hire as a Chemical Dependency Counselor I or Master Addictions Counselor.
4. Two years substance abuse work experience and/or must be familiar with the dynamics of substance abuse and addiction, recovery and relapse prevention.
5. Experience working in Rural Alaska villages preferred.
6. Experience with adult, child, and adolescent service provision; specialized testing/evaluation; DSM 5 diagnosis; severely emotionally disturbed children; chronic mental illness; dual diagnosis and integrated treatment for substance abuse and mental illness; treatment planning; treatment coordination; crisis intervention; consultation; routine charting; Medicaid regulations; and professional reports. Familiarity with Fairbanks area, Interior Regional, and statewide mental health services and substance abuse treatment providers.
7. Must pass background check pursuant to federal Indian Child Protection and Family Violence Prevention Act requirements.
8. Must pass background check pursuant to Alaska DHSS and federal Indian Child Protection and Family Violence Prevention Act requirements.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
1. Cross-cultural treatment skills and knowledge of Alaska Native cultures and traditions preferred. Familiarity with the culture and needs of individuals of Alaska Native descent.
2. Strong computer skills using electronic health records and scheduling systems, and Microsoft Office applications.
3. Strong verbal communication, analytical and interpersonal skills required.
4. Must have initiative and prioritizing skills.
5. Must work as part of a team providing quality care.
6. Knowledge and ability to adhere to Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and 42 CFR Part 2 confidentiality regulations.
Supervision: This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Physical demands: Village travel required. May be exposed to certain conditions, conditions include but are not limited to: travel by small aircraft, vehicle, lack of running water, poor heat, sleeping on floors, and exposed to adverse weather conditions. Job incumbent must be able to physical travel by air and vehicle. Must be able to push, pull, lift and carry up to 40 pounds in support of equipment and supplies. Must be able to work in a busy and sometimes stressful environment.
Summation: Job incumbent will benefit from using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $26.55 to $40.81 /hour
- Microsoft Office: 1 year (Preferred)
- Administrative: 1 year (Preferred)
- Regulations: 1 year (Preferred)
- Master's (Required)
- Licensed Psychologist Credentials (Preferred)