Fort Wainwright Center Operations Supervisor
Since 1941, the USO has been the nation’s leading organization to serve the men and women in the U.S. military, and their families, throughout their time in uniform. From the moment they join, through their assignments and deployments, and as they transition back to their communities, the USO is always by their side.
Today’s USO continuously adapts to the needs of our men and women in uniform and their families, so they can focus on their very important mission. We operate USO centers at or near military installations across the United States and throughout the world, including in combat zones, and even un-staffed USO service sites in places too dangerous for anyone but combat troops to occupy.
The Center Operations Supervisor is responsible for the day-to-day operations of a USO center.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (*Essential Duties)
- Manage day-to-day center operational procedures, ensuring a cost-effective, safe, welcoming, clean and well-maintained environment.*
- Develop, improve and maintain working relationships with US Military and local business community leadership to enhance awareness of the USO mission.*
- Supervise volunteers for general and program activities including recruitment, supervision, training, development and recognition.*
- Operate center within approved budgetary guidelines, including cash handling. Maintain accurate inventory. Provide information for consolidated financial, operational and statistical reports as requested. Provide any other ad hoc reports as required.*
- Control, safeguard and maintain the fabric, furniture, fitments, equipment and assets in the Center and maintain standards of cleanliness within the center. Ensure that sanitary and food-handling regulations are followed.*
- Create and maintain a Standard Operating Procedure file that details local operational procedures and Center activities to enable prompt reporting, easy rotation and follow-on.*
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or equivalent. Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- 1-3 years work experience in retail, customer service, recreation facility or related role. Relevant experience in a not-for-profit, military, multicultural and/or global organization preferred
- Strong interpersonal, customer service and problem-solving skills. Ability to interact with USO Leadership, the general public and military audiences at a variety of levels with integrity and professionalism.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment related to controversial and/or culturally sensitive subjects. Ability to handle confidential information with tact and poise.
- Must show initiative, self-motivation, and attention to detail with the ability to manage multiple projects with competing priorities. Ability to quickly and easily adapt to changing organizational needs.
- Ability to achieve desired results while working collaboratively in a team environment.
- Ability to perform basic math and follow proper cash/donation handling and reporting procedures, business/accounting functions including project management and budget reconciliation.
- Ability to obtain and maintain proper credentials necessary to access USO Center locations and facilities including but not limited to security, credit and/or background screening, SOFA status, valid driver’s license.
- Must be a strong advocate of the USO’s mission.
- This position is located in Fort Wainwright, AK. Preference will be given to local candidates within commuting distance to the location.
- Resume and cover letter are required for full consideration.