University of Alaska Information Technology is leading a culture change through hiring by selecting for results-oriented individuals who will thrive as member-leaders of accountable, self-organizing teams that are empowered to improve the institution's key performance indicators. Candidates will need knowledge, skills, abilities, talents and experience to overcome an entrenched concern-based culture that has diminished the institution’s market performance and standing, reflected by an unmitigated decline in student enrollment that began 2011-2012 and by nationally trailing the United States in college going youth and college credential completion. Borrowing from Lean and Agile thinking, we are seeking individuals who favor market experimentation over hesitation, and usage-based customer feedback as the compass direction for use of the institution's limited resources.
Duties:Technical Analyzes the technical and functional feasibility of proposed solutions related to OIT product team needs, serving the ERP and/or major applications. Consults with and advises staff of complex problems, innovative approaches and new technology. Performs technical information systems tasks requiring expertise and specialized knowledge in a variety of database, virtualization, containerization and information systems. Performs detailed analysis of database, virtualization, containerization, and system problems requiring specialized knowledge and skills. Serves as a subject matter expert for their product team. Uses technical expertise to assist OIT product teams with issues across various aspects of application support.
Operational Supports OIT Product team specialized system applications and surrounding environment. Coordinates within their product team in order to ensure smooth delivery of ongoing maintenance and enhancement. Performs primary systems and database administration and operational viability functions for product team products. Provides support related to database upgrades, SQL database queries, exports/imports and database errors. Develops and maintains the database and systems environment inducing db related functions of: definition and structure, access strategies, data dictionary, schemas, views and hardware utilization and system administration functions of host management, software development for systems management, and OS level migrations. Provides backup support for other product team staff as required.
Communication Responsible for tracking project progress and communicating status to stakeholders and management. Serves as an advisor for a major system and database operations or projects. Transfer knowledge to individuals responsible for the maintenance and enhancement of the automated process including product team members, OIT staff, and end users. Documents and conducts meetings before, during and the close of a project. Maintains full knowledge of projects in preparation for detailed discussions with key staff and customers at various levels of expertise and understanding. Collaborates and works with others in order to complete projects and tasks.
Professional Development Actively maintains currency and effectiveness of technical skills by expanding technical and functional knowledge through University or vendor provided training and self-study. Evolves with the product team as support requirements change. Professionally seeks and accepts feedback on work products. Working independently, analyzes, prioritizes and manages multiple assignments to ensure completion with expected timelines.
We are a dynamic and diverse team of self-directing teams looking for new members who are excited to support the University’s mission through the practice of DevOps, Lean, and Agile methods. Our teams focus on the big picture of enabling life changing, cost-efficient post-secondary education that adapts to the learning needs of Alaskans and pioneering visitors from around the globe. This role has the flexibility to be based at a campus on remotely.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES: * Working level expertise with currently available relational database management systems including, but not limited to Amazon AWS cloud Relational Database Service and Oracle.
* Knowledge of lifecycle management and technology approaches to unstructured and structured data.
* Knowledge of enterprise resource planning systems and the leverage they represent within a complex organization which locates thousands of its business processes there, processes that set the limits for and/or form the basis for the organization's customer experience.
* Demonstrable experience and proficiency utilizing software engineering principles and techniques.
* Theoretical and practical functional knowledge and skills in the development of administrative software systems using client/server and web technology.
* Evidence of a working understanding of a product team approach, including the principles of empowered self-organizing teams and the importance of preventing the need to rely on hand-offs outside the team.
* Evidence of and/or track record of exhibiting a creativity mindset in the workplace.
* Evidence of exhibiting a bias for action over analysis, market experimentation, and improvement-based risk taking.
* Evidence of a working understanding of lean thinking and an accompanying minimum viable product/feature mindset.
* A working understanding of agile methodologies including Scrum, Kanban and emerging derivatives, including but not limited to product improvement backlogs, sprint planning, stand-ups and daily scrum, user acceptance testing, customer sprint reviews and demos, team sprint retrospectives.
* Ability to help a Product Team, particularly the Product Owner/Manager with understanding each customer problem, stakeholder need or market opportunity and creating a vision of how that should be addressed.
TYPICAL EXPERIENCE:5+ years of relevant experience in a broad range of complex software engineering projects and application software operations. DevOps experience a plus.
* Experience helping accomplish culture change in highly developed employees who work in a large, multi-division, complex organization as represented in this case by the University of Alaska System of higher education.
* Experience working in and having evidence-based understanding of an Information Technology organization, including ITIL practices.
* Experience helping accomplish organizational strategy, meaning adding the capability the organization needs for itself next to improve its standing in the market(s) in which it operates.
* Evidence-based ability to effectively address distractions, disruptions, and obstacles so that the remainder of the team is free to focus on the work of producing output that will generate the desired sprint outcome.
REQUIRED EDUCATION OR TRAINING:
Earned Bachelor's/Master’s degree in a related discipline or equivalent experience. OR
Current certifications or experience in relevant technology stacks used for managing and maintaining compute loads in an automated environment.
This is a full-time, 12-month, exempt staff position complete with both a competitive salary and full employee benefits package. New hires will be placed on the UA staff salary schedule, Grade 81, based on education and experience.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS:
Please attach a resume, cover letter, and the names and contact information (email address and phone number) for three (3) professional references with your application.
To apply, submit your application through the UA Careers site, JOB NUMBER: 521818.
The review process for applications will be begin immediately. To ensure full consideration for this position, please apply on or before September 30, 2022 by 11:55pm.
CLASSIFICATION: Information Systems Professional 4A
GRADE: Grade 81
WORK TYPE: Hybrid, Remote, Remote within Alaska, Staff Full-time
ADMINISTRATIVE UNIT: University of Alaska Statewide
SCHOOL/BUSINESS UNIT: SW OIT Infrastructure & Cloud Serv
UAF COVID Requirements:
Effective immediately, all new UAF hires, whose job function or work location results in the employee being subject to the UAF vaccine requirements guided by the Federal Contractor Employee vaccine mandate*, must be fully vaccinated with an FDA- or WHO- authorized or approved COVID-19 vaccine or have obtained a university-approved disability/medical or religious exemption no later than six weeks from the new hire's start date.
*Employees based on UAF’s Troth Yeddha’ (Fairbanks) campus, regardless of university affiliation and remote work status; Employees based in UAF research units outside Fairbanks (including Seward Marine Center, Kodiak Seafood and Marine Science Center, HAARP, Poker Flat, Lena Point, and Toolik Field Station); and Employees, regardless of their work location, paid by or directly working on impacted UAF federal contract.
*To be eligible for this position, applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States without restriction. Applicants who now or may in the future require visa sponsorship to work in the United States are not eligible.
The University of Alaska (UA) is responsible for providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the applicant screening process. If you need assistance in completing this application or during any phase of the interview process, please contact UA Human Resources by phone at 907-450-8200.
UA is an AA/EO employer and educational institution and prohibits illegal discrimination against any individual: www.alaska.edu/nondiscrimination
The successful applicant is required to complete a background check. Any offer of employment is contingent on the background check.