Department: Ralph Perdue Center/BHS
Reports to: Administrative Coordinator
Hours of Work: Varies
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Date Approved: 11/28/18
Incumbent is responsible for preparing and cooking meals for consumers.
- Prepares, cooks, and serves meals
- Determines time and sequence of cooking operations to meet meal-serving hours
- Washes dishes and cleans kitchen and kitchen equipment
- Provides snack trays and specialty foods as directed for special events
- Maintains kitchen facilities in compliance with state, federal and FNA regulations and policies
- Delivers meals to the Gateway to Recovery and WCCIH program
- Assists with planning menus and maintains kitchen inventory; provides input to other Cook(s) for supplies and inventory needs
- Ensures accuracy of expenses and receipts for food purchases
- Completes daily kitchen checklist
- Stocks food items on appropriate shelves with accurate labeling and disposal standards
- May be involved with researching and preparing culturally appropriate foods
- Will shop for supplies weekly
- May order supplies from vendors on a weekly basis
- Attends regularly scheduled cooks meetings, and other program meetings
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned
NECESSARY KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITY
- Familiarity with Behavioral Health policies and procedures
- Ability to report to work in a timely manner
- Knowledge of customer service concepts and practice.
- Understanding of and sensitivity to diverse cultures and lifestyles, as well as cross-cultural communication styles
- Skill in operating personal computer utilizing a variety of computer software
- Skill in managing multiple priorities and tasks concurrently and meet deadlines
- Skill in oral and written communication
- Skill in establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with colleagues, supervisors, and consumers
- Ability to accurately follow verbal and written instructions
- Ability to work independently as well as with teams
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (Education & Experience)
- High school diploma or GED
- Minimum of one (1) year experience in institutional style cookin
- Valid Alaska Driver License
- For company insurance purposes must be at least 21 years of age
- Current Food Handler card, or ability to obtain within 30 days of hire
- Current CPR/First Aid or ability to obtain within 30 days of hire
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS (Education & Experience)
- Technical or vocational training related to fieldWORKING ENVIRONMENT
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Overall physical demands correspond to medium work requiring frequent exertion and manipulation of objects, requiring routine walking, standing, bending, and carrying of items weighing 20-50 lbs. The majority of work is performed in a kitchen setting with potential for mechanical hazards and burns associated with the use and operation of kitchen equipment, with frequent standing and the manipulation of hands, wrists, and arms. Work with a wide variety of people with differing functions, personalities, and abilities. Work is a non-smoking facility with outside smoking areas. This position may require local travel between various program components of FNA which may involve exposure to extreme weather conditions. Works in an environment where protection of consumer confidentiality is essential. Position requires cleaning the kitchen area every day, including putting supplies in proper space, cleaning and sanitizing surfaces with cleaning solution to disinfect. Personal Protective Equipment will be provided where/when needed.
Position receives direct supervision from immediate supervisor; however, incumbent is expected to effectively perform day-to-day activity as denoted within job description. Work will be monitored through meetings, monthly reports, and regular communication with your supervisor. General guidelines for operations are based on program requirements and the general policies and procedures of FNA.
No supervision requirements for this position.
Impact at the program level is high. Program’s level of compliance with program standards is directly affected by the effective performance of duties, especially as they relate to providing program services.
Contacts may include, and not limited to, volunteers, organizational staff, consumers, and outside agencies.
This Job Description describes the essential functions and qualifications. It is not an exhaustive statement of all the duties, responsibilities, or qualifications of the job; and management has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, job-related duties. This document is not intended to exclude modifications consistent with providing reasonable accommodation for a disability.
This position will (or may) require you to frequently (or incidentally) drive your personal vehicle for FNA business. Per FNA’s automotive insurance policy, in order to drive a FNA-owned vehicle, an individual must be at least 21 years of age. In order to drive a FNA-owned vehicle with consumers in the vehicle, an individual must be at least 25 years of age. No employee may transport a FNA consumer in a personal vehicle.
Continued employment status will be contingent upon satisfactory completion of a criminal background investigation and the pre-employment drug testing process. Where required, continued employment status (post job offer) will be contingent upon employee providing certification of annual tuberculosis (TB) screening and medical certification that employee does not, because of infectious or communicable disease, pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of program participants or others in the workplace.
Notice: All employment at the Fairbanks Native Association (FNA) is “at will.” This means the employee or FNA may terminate employment at any time and for any reason. Unless specified in writing, no duration of employment is expressed or implied for this position. Your signature indicates that you have read this Job Description and understand the essential functions of and qualifications for the job.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $15.05 /hour
- cook: 1 year (Preferred)
- Cooking: 1 year (Preferred)
- Food Handler (Preferred)
- CPR/First Aid (Preferred)
- Driver's License (Preferred)
- United States (Preferred)
- Paid time off
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Retirement benefits or accounts
- Education assistance or tuition reimbursement