Catering & Events Manager - Raven Landing
Raven Landing Center is seeking a Catering & Events Manager to lead this key area of our operations. The successful applicant will excel at: networking to promote Raven Landing event space & catering; liaising with the public and our staff to plan and prepare successful events that build Raven Landing’s presence in the community; steadily and sustainably growing our Catering & Events volume; creatively responding to developments in the market to ensure our competitiveness; balancing technical/organizational and people skills to develop and refine processes; and actively training and leading our Dining Room & Catering Server team to excellence.
Download PDF job description
- Oversee advertising & community relations to ensure that Raven Landing is a prominent, highly regarded venue/catering provider within the Fairbanks Community
- Schedule events and make the necessary plans with RL staff (kitchen, facilities, etc.) to ensure effective, well-prepared events
- Develop the Dining Room & Catering Server team:
- In coordination with the General Manager (GM), hire servers to build our catering capacity
- Provide training, feedback & evaluation, and a positive, encouraging work environment
- Collaborate with the GM and RL Maintenance staff to ensure that our event facilities are in peak condition for effective events: organize equipment and materials, ensure timely repair and upgrade for audio/visual equipment, etc.
- Collaborate with the Chef re: menu and pricing.
- Collaborate with the GM and others to ensure appropriate pricing for room rentals.
- Develop systems, procedures, etc. for all of the above.
Work hours & benefits:
- Schedule: Flexible, as long as work is carried out well and you are available to, and communicating effectively with, the public and RL staff. Evening and weekend availability a must, but can be balanced with some weekday time off.
- Salary – exempt/salaried: $50,000 to $60,000/year depending on experience
- Retirement: Matching IRA up to 3% of earnings
Qualifications and skills:
- Three+ years’ managerial experience in catering, event planning, food service, and/or related areas
- Must be skilled in MS Office, particularly Excel and Word, and comfortable learning new technologies as needed
- Organized, following through on all work to ensure that both the “on the floor” and the administrative work are consistently done with excellence
- Polite, diplomatic, clear communication in person, on the phone, and in writing
- Interact effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and personality types
- Friendly, professional, and reliable: someone people enjoy interacting with
- Self-motivated, perseverant, action-oriented creative thinker to pursue new business
- Problem-solving mindset and can-do attitude
- Attention to detail and a desire for continuous improvement
- Ability to manage different aspects of work (overseeing servers, desk time, networking, running events, etc.)
- Ability to self-direct and think independently while also being responsive to GM’s direction
- Discernment and sound judgment in complex or uncertain situations
- Skilled at collaborating with co-workers. Your success in this role utterly depends on it.
- A coaching mindset toward those you supervise, to help them develop over time
Additional possible responsibilities & qualifications:
- Education in related fields of hospitality, food service, management, etc. is a plus but not a must.
- Candidates who are able to help develop kitchen systems (cleaning protocols, inventory, etc.) will be given priority consideration, though this is not a must-have qualification.
- Visual design abilities and/or experience are helpful, but not required.