Center Operations & Programs Manager
For more than 79 years, the USO—a private, nonprofit organization—has served the men and women of the U.S. military, and their families, throughout their time in uniform – from the moment they join, through their deployments and as they transition back to their communities.
Today’s USO continuously adapts to the needs of our men and women in uniform and their families, so they can focus on their very important mission. We operate USO centers at or near military installations across the United States and throughout the world, including in combat zones, and even un-staffed USO service sites in places too dangerous for anyone but combat troops to occupy.
The Center Operations & Programs Manager is responsible for the day-to-day operations of one or more USO centers as well as coordinating, implementing and evaluating creative, fun and engaging USO programs, events and activities.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (*Essential Duties)
- Manage day-to-day Center operational procedures, ensuring a cost-effective, safe, welcoming, clean and well-maintained environment.*
- Actively manage full-cycle human capital activities including recruitment, supervision, training & development and recognition for staff and/or volunteer workforce. Ensure delivery of excellent customer service.*
- Design and distribute multi-channel promotions and campaigns to enhance awareness of USO events, programs and services. Manage Center website content.
- Supervise and manage the planning, delivery and evaluation of USO programs, activities and events located on and off US military installations. Conduct periodic reviews of USO program and service needs within assigned area. Research and recommend new programs and services based on results. Implement and oversee suggested and/or required changes.*
- In cooperation with key internal and external stakeholders, develop, improve and maintain working relationships with US Military, local community leadership and local media representatives to support successful program and service delivery within assigned area.*
- Coordinate with Area and Center leadership, ensuring appropriate and adequate volume of volunteers and supplies are available for all programs, events, and activities.*
- Prepare, review and present reports, including but not limited to financial and after-action reports.
- Lead, manage and mentor Center staff and volunteers. Perform assigned duties in the absence of supervisor.*
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Business or related field.
- 5+ years progressively responsible work experience in event management or marketing role, including 1+ years in a supervisory capacity. Relevant experience in a non-profit, military, multicultural and/or global organization preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to lead high-performing teams. Ability to achieve desired results while working collaboratively in a team environment.
- Strong interpersonal and problem-solving skills. Ability to interact with USO Leadership, the general public and military audiences at a variety of levels with integrity and professionalism.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment related to controversial and/or culturally sensitive subjects. Ability to handle confidential information with tact and poise.
- Working knowledge of basic business and accounting functions including project management and budgeting.
- Demonstrated initiative/self-motivation, with the ability to quickly and easily adapt to changing organizational needs.
- Proficiency using computers and electronics equipment. Working knowledge of various software, applications, and programs including but not limited to Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to obtain and maintain proper credentials necessary to access USO Center locations and facilities including but not limited to security, credit and/or background screening, SOFA status, valid driver’s license.
- Must be a strong advocate of the USO’s mission.
- This position is located in Fort Wainwright, AK. Preference will be given to local candidates within commuting distance to the location.
- Resume and cover letter are required for full consideration.