Program & Outreach Manager
Are you looking to help bring more recycling to Interior Alaska? Apply to work at Green Star! Working collaboratively as part of the Green Star Management Team, the Program & Outreach Manager will be responsible for overseeing Green Star of Interior Alaska’s programs and connecting with the surrounding community. The successful candidate will manage recycling and education programs, develop potential partnerships or methods for engagement with the local community, and act as the primary spokesperson for Green Star.
Hours: Part-time position with a flexible schedule
TO APPLY: Send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. To ensure consideration for this position, please apply by 11:59 pm on Monday, September 6, 2021. Questions? Contact us at email@example.com or (907) 452-4152.
General Program Management (50%):
- Work with the Management Team and Board of Directors on program development, organizational and financial plans.
- Contribute to the development of short- and long-term operating plans for Green Star’s Event Recycling, Education, and Village Backhaul programs.
- Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in local recycling efforts and green business practices.
- Manage Green Star’s Event Recycling program, including: contract negotiation, coordination with event organizers, volunteer recruitment and coordination, and marketing for the program.
- Manage Green Star’s Village Backhaul program, including: contract negotiation, coordination and communication with villages, coordination with warehouse staff, and working with program partners to market and expand the program to additional villages.
Outreach & Education (30%):
- Manage all of Green Star’s public relations and communications to support program goals and increase community awareness of our mission; act as the primary spokesperson and public communicator for Green Star, including public speaking and attending community events
- Promote Green Star events and information related to waste reduction, recycling, and electronics on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, and Green Star’s website; write and distribute a monthly newsletter to constituents.
- Organize and staff Green Star booths at relevant community events, including events where Green Star provides event recycling services.
- Maintain and update Green Star outreach materials, including the Fairbanks Recycling Guide, logo stickers, and educational displays; create new materials as needed.
- Identify opportunities to promote the Earth Day Every Day Curriculum in Alaska, including presentations at teacher inservice days, conferences, and tabling events.
- Represent Green Star on Earth Day, Clean-up Day, and other community initiatives.
- Develop partnerships with local organizations to offer recycling education.
Volunteer Coordination (20%):
- Recruit, orient, and retain volunteers through outreach and consistent follow-up and communication.
- Train and supervise volunteers involved in event recycling and outreach programs.
- Maintain volunteer records in the CRM database (i.e., Bloomerang).
Required Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
- Strong project management skills and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Must be highly organized and have excellent verbal and written communication skills, with exceptional attention to details
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to Green Star’s mission
- Able to work with a variety of populations, including K-12 students and senior citizens, and communities the mainstream environmental movement has previously failed to engage.
- Must be able and willing to work some nights and weekends.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and internet-based applications (e.g. Google Docs and Drive); database management experience.
Preferred Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
- At least two years of program management experience.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Background or knowledge in marketing, communications, and social media
- Background or interest in education.
- Knowledge of the recycling industry, sustainability, and social issues related to environmentalism and environmental justice.